Four things which would make my Linux wonderful

1. Presentation controller for my bluetooth phone

In fact this already exists, in many forms apparently. The trick for me was to get it working. If I was to derive it from scratch I would have made a simple, mappable Java app for the phone, and would have written a Python app for the server. In fact this already exists in Xbtrc. The trick for me however, was to get the phone to find the computer. The phone could find other phones, and using the python rfcomm examples, I found the computers could find each other. The problem, it turns out, was the computer needs to be put into discoverable mode for the phone to be able to find it.

dbus-send --system --dest=org.bluez --print-reply /org/bluez/hci0 org.bluez.Adapter.SetMode string:"discoverable"

For whatever reason this doesn’t happen by default when you are in connectible mode. Alternatively you can do hciconfig hci0 piscan or change your bt-applet settings to visible and set the timeout to never.

2. Evolution sync with my phone (Nokia 6230i)
Well, we have gammu/wammu, which give us nokia phone access, and we have opensync, which does syncing, and we have the evolution data server, which we could access directly. But for some reason, these have never been wed.

3. Dynamic xinerama

Why do I have to restart my X server, and loose all my apps, when I want to change video configurations. Logically, if I had xinerama installed, and R and R, I should be able to resize my offboard video card to 0x0 and have all the windows pushed onto the LCD. Then when I resize back to its real size, I should be able to start using the real-estate again.

4. Suspend to ram working properly
As I pointed out in a previous post, S3 (suspend to ram) only just started working “properly” on my IBM T41. However, I have found that the external screen never comes back to life after a suspend. Hopefully someone will pick up on this. sigh. (not that I’m ungrateful)

powered by performancing firefox

This entry was posted in bluetooth, java, linux, technology. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Four things which would make my Linux wonderful

1. Snexlex says:

I hope this will make my Firefox stocks go up so I make some money on it 🙂 http://www.trendio.fr/word.php?language=en&wordid=2131

2. wynst says:

for #2: I just used multisync. I set the first plugin IrMC Mobile Device -bluetooth & the 2nd using Ximan evolution 2 and it works like charm! downloaded my SonEr T630 Calendars, Tasks & Contacts straight to Evolution.

3. simbot says:

Unfortunately the Nokia 6230i doesn’t support IrMC. Either a Gammu/Gnokii module is required for Multisync, or Conduit needs to come along a little further.

Though it is good to head a multisync success story.

Thanks

4. simbot says:

As a solution to #3, the OSS Radeon X.Org driver supports a thing called MergedFB, which allows multiple view ports into the one frame buffer. You can specify multiple MetaModes for this, which can include Clone and Dual layouts (ie 1024×768 = Clone, 1024×768-1024×768 = Dual).

I’ve known about this, but until recently it didn’t work for me. The trick was to specify a virtual screen size (in the Screen section) which is bit enough for the Dual view. I got my working config largely from here

5. Daniel15 says:

Thanks for this post… It helped me fix my bluetooth 🙂
    Previously, whenever I plugged in my USB dongle, it just said “Switched device into off mode”, and the options in the Gnome bluetooth applet were greyed out. Running the “dbus-send –system –dest=org.bluez –print-reply /org/bluez/hci0 org.bluez.Adapter.SetMode string:”discoverable”” command fixed it instantly 😀

6. Bob Goatse says:

Hello,

Thanks for the dbus trick, I always wondered why the bluetooth in my Debian was not discoverable.